How to Leverage Video to Boost Search Rankings and Improve SEO
Improve search engine optimization and get better search rankings for your website today. Take a tip from smart marketers and business owners. They include video in their digital marketing plans because their audiences love video. Statistics tend to suggest this trend will just continue to grow. In fact, 90 percent of consumers say that they’ve considered product videos in making a purchasing decision. What’s more, video makes up 64% of all traffic already, and it’s been estimated to jump up to 80% by 2019, according to the 2014 Visual Networking Index from Cisco. Today, video is one of the best ways to grab your audience’s attention. It goes beyond simply appealing to your market. In fact, video can actually help improve SEO for your brand and your website.
How Videos Improve SEO
Search engines like Google reward pages and sites that attract high percentages of traffic relevant to specific keywords with higher rankings for those keywords. So if you want to improve SEO, you need to improve your user experience. The more traffic you get, the higher your rankings will rise, the more traffic you’ll get.
One study from KPCB estimated that video content will comprise almost 75% of all web traffic by the end of this year (2017). And according to another report from Syndacast, 65% of video viewers watch over three-quarters of videos. Video is super-effective at attracting viewers to your pages and at converting them into purchasers. It’s been estimated that a single minute of video is the persuasive equivalent of 1.8 million words. Shoppers trust explainer and demo videos. They help consumers decide which product to buy. That in turn yields better rankings, increased traffic — and higher conversion rates, too. One recent study found that 74% of online shoppers who viewed a video about a product ended up buying that product.
Where to Publish for Better Video SEO
There are two schools of thought when it comes to where to publish for better video SEO.There’s always YouTube, the world’s second largest search engine with over 30 million visitors a day. YouTube is a popular site, with over 60 hours of video uploaded every minute and users watching over 4 billion videos every day. YouTube makes video SEO relatively simple with its text-based fields and controls. Or you can focus on your own website. Publish your videos on your site and let all the video SEO benefits flow straight to your domain, as opposed to using a file hosting site as a middleman. Of course, this approach requires a hosting plan that’s more robust than the Facebook shouldn’t be ignored when it comes to video and SEO.
It provides another convenient location where your audience probably already spends part of their days already and can find your videos easily. It will also help you enhance your brand authority and profile. Wherever you end up hosting your videos, always be alert for ways to drive strategically relevant traffic back to your own site, which you own and where you have total control over calls to action and more.
Deliver Great Content for Better Video SEO
The best way to attract more viewers to your site through video is to deliver great video content. What your audience wants will depend on your brand, of course. But we know what most people want in general: to be entertained and informed. They want gripping, eye-catching videos that help them in some way.
How can you help them? By taking a naturalistic and value-based approach to video SEO. For instance, focus on answering questions, giving an overview of a process, teaching a task or procedure in a tutorial, or providing an educated opinion (as in a product review). Some specific types of videos that tend to be both high-value and compelling for viewers, and hence valuable for video SEO, include:
- Webinars can effectively convey long-form educational content to your audience. They’re also a great way to repurpose data-rich content such as white papers, infographics, and case studies. Publish the webinar video to your YouTube channel, then promote it on social media with an invitation to connect with you.
- Live-streaming is best for immediate, more personal contact with your prospects. It’s a great way to experiment quickly with video since it doesn’t require expensive editing or special effects. More than 8 million people watch live-stream videos every day on Facebook alone. Conduct short interviews with your team members or customers, walk through your office, or simply share quick tips and tricks with your audience.
- Explainer videos, especially for your homepage, help introduce your brand and services or products to your audience of prospects. They don’t have to be terribly long — even a minute or two can be enough to explain the problem you solve and how you solve it.
Video SEO for YouTube
- Create the right type of videos. On YouTube, how-to and tutorial videos, as well as product reviews, tend to rank very well.
- Use relevant, search-friendly keywords in applicable text fields, including the title, description, and if possible, the URL.
- Create a short, entertaining description. What is the video really about, and why would your audience be interested in it?
- If the video is connected to some other piece of content on your website, include the post or page URL in your description so viewers can go check that out next after watching the video.
- Choose the appropriate category and tags, using relevant keywords if possible.
Finally, keep in mind many video viewers don’t listen to the videos they watch. In fact, 85% of videos on Facebook are viewed with the sound turned off. To enhance your user’s experience, and be more inclusive with your content, create a transcript of your video, or add closed captioning to your videos.
Optimize Videos to Improve SEO on Your Website
One way to incorporate video into your website is by creating home pages on your site for each video. That will be the video’s main “home” on the website. It can be a single upload page for that video, or it can be topical page (a blog post, for example) of which the video is a substantive part.
Next, pay attention to speed optimization for your video. Video can slow a page down. Yet page load time is definitely part of Google’s ranking algorithm, because users don’t like slow-loading pages. In fact, 57% of them will leave if the page takes 3 or more seconds to load. Create compelling meta descriptions and title tags for your video pages. Include the video name in both fields, as well as the URL whenever possible. Also don’t forget to promote your videos on social media. Social signals help increase your video’s findability and sharability, which will help increase views.
Takeaways to Improve SEO With Video
No matter where you publish, the right kinds of video will bring a steady stream of traffic to your digital door. In turn that’ll boost your site’s SEO and your brand’s profile. Keep videos high-quality, informative, and compelling. And don’t forget to promote them, just as you would with any piece of content.
Are you ready to let video marketing help you improve SEO and bring you more organic search traffic, but you’re not sure how to get started?
Let us know here; we’ll be happy to help you create a solid video-driven strategy for your business or website.